More than 9 local companies, as well as PETCO, Polyco, the Southern African Vinyls Association and Polystyrene Association of SA have taken the OCS pledge agreeing to the following six commitments in order to establish and demonstrate environmentally responsible processes:
- Improving worksite set-up to prevent and address spills
- Creating and publishing internal procedures to achieve zero operations plastic material loss
- Providing employee training and accountability for spill prevention, containment, clean-up and disposal
- Auditing performance regularly
- Complying with all applicable state and local regulations governing operations plastics waste containment and management
- Encouraging value chain partners (contractors, transporters, distributors, etc.) to pursue the same goals
PlasticsSA appreciates the commitment shown by these companies to prevent resin pellet, flake, and powder loss and help keep this material out of the marine environment and welcomes Safripol as a signatory of OCS in South Africa.